We all process life in different ways. Some of us find creative outlets that become our therapy, some take their aggression out on the road while running or lifting weights, others find comfort in talking with friends or family, and some of us are still figuring it out. Years ago I started a blog to share with my family and friends what was going on in my life and then during my divorce I used my blog to process some of the hard events I was going through. It has been a while since I have shared anything on this blog, but I can't tell you how many posts I have in draft. I have sat down and just typed out my thoughts. Some I may end up sharing, while others may stay in draft forever. Recently, I have been reading some self-help books. You know the kind that pump you up to face the day? I have found comfort in knowing that my feelings of hopelessness, fear, inadequacy, depression, anxiety, uncertainty, and pain are not ones that I feel alone. There are others in this world that have felt similar ways and there are others going through similar seasons in their life. Over the past 7 years I have found therapy a wonderful outlet to help me process my emotions and thoughts. However, with the quarantine I have been unable to attend as much as I would like to. So I have looked for other ways to process. I have found writing one of the most therapeutic and sacred places for me to spill everything out into the open. I am not talking about typing on the computer or writing notes in my phone, but good old pen and paper. It's kind of embarrassing but for the first time in my life I am about to completely fill up a journal! I have started many journals throughout my life, but I would always quit and then buy a new journal to start over. It's taken me about a year, but the pages between those covers are filled with joy, sadness, pain, hope, and so much more. I am definitely not perfect but I am going to continue working on bringing writing into a part of my daily routine. Life is a never ending process and so is learning how to process that life.
"Sis, don't be afraid of failure. Be afraid of never achieving anything at all because you were too afraid of what others might think of you for trying."
-Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis
No comments:
Post a Comment